This can be a finger food or the filling can be used in the mashblox
- 120g Butternut squash (or other firm squash)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- A little oil (canola or olive)
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander leaves
120g of rinsed tinned beans; these can be black, cannellini or borlotti beans
If putting in a tortilla, you can use either wheat or corn tortilla, the above recipe should fill 2-3 tortilla depending on size.
Step 1: Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until tender, then stir in the spices, add the squash and beans and cook for a few minutes. Whilst cooking mash the ingredients together adding a little water as necessary and add the coriander.
Step 2: Take off the heat, and allow to cool if serving in Mashblox (strips of tortilla can be a finger food). If baking as tortilla which are great for older infants, place a tortilla in a lightly greased baking tray, place a spoon of filling in the middle and roll it up. Back in an oven at 170°C for about 30 minutes
For the rest of the family, extra spice can be added with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.